Second RCNV JOB now open for Applications: PROGRAM STAFF: Project ReGeneration/ Nonviolence Education & Training. Apply by February 12
The Resource Center for Nonviolence is HIRING! Yes, we have a Second JOB opening. Apply by February 12, 2016. Irene O’Connell has decided to depart from RCNV after 5 years of involvement, effective February 16. We are now seeking a person to replace her….
SEE PDF job announcement: 1.23.16 RCNV PROGRAM STAFF- ProjectReGeneration: Nonviolence Education & Training
Position: Program Staff: Project ReGeneration / Nonviolence Education & Training
Overview: The Resource Center for Nonviolence seeks a new staff person to work in a collaborative team of 4 half-time staff members. Emphasis: Project ReGeneration coordination– inspiring the next generation of activists, and Nonviolence Education & Training. The position is half time, 23 hours per week, paying $15 per hour. The person hired for this position will use a variety of interpersonal and communication skills to further the mission of the Resource Center for Nonviolence with youth and young adults. The Center has an egalitarian structure; work hours are flexible and coordinated with co-workers.
TO APPLY: Send a PDF of your resume and cover letter. In addition, respond to these questions: 1.What is your philosophy and practice of nonviolence? 2. Outline the skills and experience you would bring to this position. 3. How did you hear about this position? SEND TO: rcnvhire ( a t ) gmail ( d o t ) com The deadline for applications is Friday, February 12, 2016
JOB DESCRIPTION: PROGRAM STAFF: Project ReGeneration / Nonviolence Education & Training
EMPLOYER: Resource Center for Nonviolence, 612 Ocean Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 831- 423-1626 rcnv.org
PROGRAM RESPONSIBILITIES: (16-18 hours per week)
1. Project ReGeneration Coordination: Work with diverse groups that involve young people in social issues, activism and empowerment throughout Santa Cruz County; Organize and support community building and nonviolence education activities that prioritize youth and young adult participation; Build alliances among diverse youth activists and groups; Maintain and expand ReGeneration contact lists and integrate these with other RCNV lists; With other staff, maintain a webpage and Facebook page; Invite and encourage young adult participation in other RCNV programs; Seek and involve interns and volunteers in Project ReGeneration activities.
2. Nonviolence Education: Speak in public forums and classrooms and youth groups about nonviolent social change; Support public programs organized by other RCNV staff; Learn nonviolence training methods such as Kingian Nonviolence, Engage, or similar methods; Develop and implement collaborative, participatory, and action-oriented nonviolence/social justice trainings and workshops for youth and all ages.
3. Community Engagement: Participate in community efforts that prevent violence and develop community and nonviolence among youth, such as the Youth Violence Prevention Task Force; Connect with groups engaged in political struggle and nonviolent direct action in Santa Cruz County and local region.
4. Fundraising: Take primary responsibility to write the annual grant that funds this position, and seek other grant sources to augment and complement that funding; Organize other fundraising activities to support Project ReGeneration; Coordinate one major RCNV fundraising project each year.
ORGANIZATIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (5-7 hours per week)
All staff will:
- Commit to nonviolence and the mission of the Resource Center for Nonviolence.
- Maintain regular office hours.
- Actively participate in staff and Steering Committee meetings and retreats, RCNV programs, and special projects. Representation on sub-committees will be divided among staff.
- Actively participate in fundraising for RCNV’s budget and operations.
- Coordinate one major fundraising event and letter per year.
- Update and maintain relevant areas of RCNV website
- Commit to a mutually supportive and collegial working relationship with other staff and volunteers.
- Maintain clear and regular communication with all staff.
NOTE: The first 3 months will include orientation to RCNV and training in Kingian Nonviolence or other nonviolence methods.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Commitment to nonviolence and core values of the Resource Center for Nonviolence
- Familiarity with nonviolence and compatible methods of community organizing
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
- Team member who is committed to consensus decision-making and shared responsibilities
- Demonstrated follow-through with responsibilities
- Experience with nonviolence training methods a plus
- Experience with non-profit or other organization a plus
- Experience working or living with diverse persons or communities
- Excellent social media and web skills, including WordPress,YouTube, Fb, Forums, Instagram, etc.
- Excellent writing, editing and interpersonal communication skills
- Familiar with Microsoft Office Suite
- Flexible availability
- Some college experience
- One year’s work experience
- At least one year commitment
TO APPLY: Send a PDF of your resume and cover letter. In addition, respond to these questions: 1.What is your philosophy and practice of nonviolence? 2. Outline the skills and experience you would bring to this position. 3. How did you hear about this position?
SEND TO: rcnvhire ( a t ) gmail ( d o t ) com The deadline for applications is Friday, February 12, 2016